Monday, September 12, 2016

Sew Easy!


This project has been on my to-do list forever! I finally made the time to sit down and get my new kitchen curtains whipped up. I'm so glad I can check this off my list.

About 7 years ago I made curtains for the kitchen. I made them because I was not finding what I wanted in the stores (or online) and I refused to pay a small fortune for something that I could easily make. The curtains I envisioned were simple so I knew I could pull it off as soon as I found the perfect fabric.

I swear fabric stores are becoming a thing of the past, but I was lucky to find what I had in my mind at JoAnn's Fabrics. I wanted a "country" look but did not want plaid, lace, or chickens. I found this simple burgundy gingham print and knew it was the one!

Well, seven years have passed and that fabric has become very faded from the sun. It needed a facelift. I adventured back to JoAnn's Fabric and was giddy with delight when I found the exact same fabric I used before. Same color, same print. Score!! And for about $35 I had all the material I needed. If I were to order them through a store, it would have cost me way more than $35!! It was a win-win!

(I'm slightly embarrassed to show you this, but below you can see the drastic difference in the fabrics. You can see how faded the curtains became from the sun)
Can you say faded? Yikes! 

Now, I know many people would say that there's no way they could make curtains. Seriously- if you can sew a straight straightish line, you'll be fine. With a sewing machine, a hot iron, fabric tape measure, and a little knowhow, it can be done. I promise.

This set of curtains was super easy to make since I already had my measurements from the previous set. I simply took off the old curtains, measured, cut, and sewed up the new ones! When making your first set of curtains there will obviously be some measuring and calculations to figure before you cut and sew.

Fold the edges under and press before sewing.

My curtains are literally long rectangles with a rod pocket. Pretty simple. I folded the edges (sides and bottom) of the fabric under and pressed it with an iron before sewing. For the top of the material (where the rod pocket will go) I folded the material under 2.5" and sewed a 1" pocket for the rod to slip through.
Top folded 2.5" to allow room for a rod pocket.








Sewing the edges under!




Making the tiers (panels) and valances uses the same process, the measurements are just different. If you can measure, cut, and operate a simple sewing machine while making a straight stitch, I know you can totally pull off a set of curtains yourself!

Finished product!


A fresh look in the kitchen!
I'm happy with how they turned out!












2 comments:

  1. Good work! Not surprisingly, my style sister, I too had curtains in that EXACT SAME fabric and print in my dining room for the longest time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I would say that's really surprising, but anymore it doesn't surprise me! *Style Sister* We have such great taste ;)

      Delete